Friday 21 February 2014

Move, Nourish, BELIEVE

A special blog post today! This one is all about my last week - believe. With work being super stressful, busy and the pressure on to get to the launch day, I have really started to put my life into perspective. Work is important and I want to love what I do but sometimes that means saying no, sitting back and just taking the time to breathe. So that's what I'm doing!

I've already mentioned in previous blog posts, my love for Lorna Jane and the mantra, Move, Nourish, Believe.

Move, I'm getting into my yoga in a big way - I absolutely LOVE it. We bike ride on the weekends and I love to walk everywhere. I've still got a long way to go but I'm getting into this whole move thing.

Nourish, this is my favourite! Everyone who reads my blog knows I adore food and in 2014, ever since I read Lorna Jane's book 'More' I've been eating cleaner, really looking at how I cook, what I cook with and I just love being in the kitchen.

Believe. I have never been one for the whole 'Believe' thing, in fact, it was the one part I wasn't quite sure about. That's why I though this week, I would take on the Lorna Jane, Fit Approach 'Move, Nourish, Believe' challenge, of which the theme was 'Believe' - www.lornajane.com

Day one - Spoil yourself. Do something just for you


Loving all the colour! Favourite clothes,
so comfy and pretty!

Yep, yoga tops! Active wear is becoming my new favourite type of clothing. I have to stop myself from buying more and more (I'm mainly saying this because B will be reading so he knows I'm actually being quite sensible... not that he'll see it like that!) Thanks to my lovely sisters J&L for going shopping for me in Aus and getting me the flowery top, my absolute favourite. I wish I could wear it all day every day!

Day two - Five mindful minutes. Do good to your body, meditate for five minutes and find your zen


Relaxing in the moment (while also trying
to take a photo...)

Yoga selfie! On Tuesday, I took five extra minutes at the start of my day to just sit and breathe. I know it might make some of you roll your eyes but my morning yoga sets me up for the day. I never, ever, ever want to exercise when I finish work so taking time out just for me in the mornings is just what I need and love.

Days three - Be happy. Show us your happy place


Happiness in my kitchen! It's small but
it's all ours - I love it!

Yes, my kitchen! I could have taken yet another picture of my yoga mat but I think my instagram followers might start getting sick of the sight of it. I was going to take a photo of our bedroom but a) it was really messy and needs a clean and b) I have a room which I love more than my bedroom... My teensy little tiny kitchen. My kitchen where two people can't easily cook in. My kitchen with terrible lighting and annoying appliances... But I still love it and it's where I can relax, unwind and get creative. Plus I adore food so it seems quite fitting, don't you think?!

Day four - Thankful Thursday. Let us know what you're thankful for


My fabulous fridge with all it's
wonderful treasures, trinkets and memories

Yes that is a picture of my fridge. No, I am not thankful for my fridge, I'm thankful for what all the things on it represent. 

My family. They are my everything! I would not be who I am without them and they mean the world to me. Family is SO important and sometimes I think it's easy to forget that. 

My friends. I read an article recently that said when you get to your late 20s, you realise that you have fewer friends, but they are real friends. This is so true! The friends I have in my life are so genuine and make me a better person. 

Travel, represented by my magnet collection. It still amazes me how many incredible countries we've been to and the opportunities we've had available to us, in order to live out a lifelong dream. I always wanted to travel and I always wished I could live and work overseas but I never expected it to be for this long, have this much fun or see so many wonderful places.

Life and love - a painting from my nephew. A postcard of a pig. A motivational quote about food (what else?!) A picture of a bulldog eating ice-cream. A photo of B and his brother J when they were kids. Tickets to a beer festival... that's a whole lot of fun, happiness, life and love on one little fridge and SO much to be thankful for. Who knew so much could be represented on a fridge?!

Don't be disheartened if you are a friend of family member and you can't see yourself on my fridge!! This is not a complete representation!

Day five - Share the love - Shout out to your #1 supporter/motivator


Clockwise from top left
The recipe princesses, The Merrymaker Sisters;
Motivational goddess, The_Heathy_Me;
Fitness queen, Lorna Jane

To me, this is three people (well, actually it's four because one person is actually a pair of sisters). For support - The Merrymaker Sisters. They create delicious, healthy, recipes and whenever I make one of their creations, they comment on every photo and provide so much support, it's lovely!! It makes me want to make more of their recipes, eat better and look after myself, all because of a little bit of support and love!

For motivation, it has to be The Healthy Me. Her's is the one account I make sure I check daily (don't judge me, I've already admitted to having an addiction to instagram) to see what she's posted. I am constantly amazed at how she can have such a postive outlook on life, a great work ethic and how she is just a beautiful, happy person. Exactly what the 'Believe' mantra is all about. 

If I'm to be cheeky, I want to say that Lorna Jane and the Move, Nourish, Believe website are another source of motivation for me - I know I was supposed to choose just one and I've now chosen four people AND an entire website. But it's true! The videos they post, the articles they write, the recipes they create, I love them and it's all made possible by Lorna Jane. They help me bound out of bed in the morning (sometimes it's a slow crawl as opposed to a bounce) keep me bubbly throughout the day (I've even printed a motivational quote for each of my team at work... not sure if they've kept it up just to humour me!) and keep me happy. They help me believe that anything is possible and to remember to always make time for the things that make me happy - this quote sums it up perfectly. 


One of my favourite quotes

To leave with just one last thing, a recipe that is chocolate, clean and utterly delicious. I got this recipe from the book 'More' - mmmm!!

Chocolate mousse - from 'More of the fit woman's secrets' by Lorna Jane Clarkson


Amazing book, highly recommended!
Recipe, bottom left and the delicious
FINISHED product

Makes: four serves 
Prep time: 2.5hours


  • 1.5 cups coconut cream (approx 2 cans, in the fridge the night before)
  • 1/4 cup cacoa powder (or good quality cocoa)
  • 3 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup honey

Place the egg whites in a bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until they form firm peaks (when you turn the whisk upside down, peaks will hold but tips may fold back). Scoop out into another bowl and refrigerate until required.

Open the refrigerated cans of coconut cream and skim off the thick, white coconut cream, leaving the liquid at the bottom (the liquid can be used in another recipe that calls for coconut milk). Put this coconut cream into a clean mixing bowl, and whisk for around five minutes adding the honey gradually. You may want more honey, depending on how sweet you like things. The coconut cream should increase in volume.

Sift in the cacao powder into the whipped coconut cream, and fold in well. Then, gently fold in stiff egg whites, one third at a time. Allow the mousse to set in individual ramekins or a piping bag for at least 2hours before serving.

Serve alongside fresh fruit or topped with raw cacao nibs.


Yummy! Delicious and clean!
Next blog will be back to normal, where I can talk about our wonderful trip to Portugal and well, that's kinda it cause my January and February have been consumed by work!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry D, I didn't realise I was behind 2 blogs. It's great to see you're doing well and staying sane with yoga, eating well, cooking, eating, and my favourite, travelling. x

    ReplyDelete