Wednesday 12 June 2013

Just food this time - a recipe by request

So this isn't my usual kind of post but it is about one of my favourite subjects! Food! I recently cut wheat from my diet after being told that while it's not an allergy, it doesn't agree with me. I never really thought about it but as soon as I cut it out, I felt a thousand times better. I can't avoid it completely, sometimes when you visit a pop-up restaurant and they only serve delicious mac 'n' cheese, you just can't say no!

I also struggle a bit with breakfast. It's not exactly my favourite meal of the day and so I thought I'd try making my own gluten free muesli. Since I did, I've had quite a few people ask me for the recipe so I thought it might be a nice place to post it on my poor, neglected little blog.

I missed posting in May - but with two long weekends in the month, I think I should be forgiven. I was having way too much fun traveling but that's for my next blog post! By the way, you can sign up to receive my blog straight to your inbox (how nifty!) Just scroll right to the bottom and drop in your email address! I'd love to have you!

And so to the recipe. My delicious muesli is a mix of two recipes - one from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals cookbook (of which every single recipe I've made so far has taken me an average of about 45 minutes) and a new blog I follow and love - The Merrymaker Sisters.

Just a few ingredients...
worth it, I promise!

If recipes aren't your thing, you're allowed to leave now but just so you know - this muesli is seriously awesome. You WILL want to try this...

Good looking muesli

D's seriously yum gluten-free muesli


1/4 cup cashews (or your favourite nut)
1/4 cup almonds (or your favourite nut)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
500g organic oats (make sure it's gluten free)
40g shredded coconut
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp agave syrup or honey
75g dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
250g dried apricots, roughly chopped
400g organic puffed rice cereal (make sure it's gluten free)

---

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. In a food processor, roughly chop the nuts - you still want them to have a bit of texture. Mix the melted coconut oil and agave syrup or honey in a small bowl until combined. In a big mixing bowl, add the chopped nuts, three types of seeds, oats, coconut and cinnamon until combined. Pour over the coconut oil mixture and toss to coat.

Spread mix on a lined baking tray (you may need two!) place in the oven and bake for five minutes. Stir the mix and place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes or, until golden brown.

Allow the mixture to cool before adding the roughly chopped apricots, cherries and puffed rice. 

Store in an airtight container and that's it! It's great with greek yogurt and fresh berries or I like mine with almond milk - YUM!

If you do end up making it, please do let me know - I always love to talk about food!

No comments:

Post a Comment